A Blog about The World FUCKING Champion Philadelphia Phillies, from an obsessed fan's perspective.

Monday, April 6, 2009

What a Glorious Day

It's Opening Day 2009. I'm watching the Mets in Cinci, Indians in Arlington, and I'm waiting for the Yankees to take the field in Baltimore. It's great just watching baseball in general. I've almost forgotten about last night's loss already. Just being able to watch a meaningful baseball game is priceless. I'm constantly checking my fantasy teams and just plain enjoying this day.

Last night, however, was not as great. I was counting down the hours, minutes, seconds all day long until Brett Myers toed the rubber. I thought it was going to be perfect. I was sitting in front of a TV, wearing a Chase Utley jersey, Phillies shorts, and an alternate cap, watching the defending World Fucking Champions take the field at the bank. Myers was on the mound and I told myself that he was going to be a different pitcher this year. He was going to be the Myers of the second half of last year. He was going to have a great year, in a contract year. And then Brian McCann launched an $8 cab ride that landed in the 2nd level. Ok, Brett, shake it off. And then Francoeur. (Quick Note: Did you see his new stance? Me too.) And then Jordan Schafer. (Quick Note: Did you know he's the 99th player ever to go yard in his first ever MLB at bat? Me too.) Thankfully, Myers was able to keep his composure though and he looked good after the 2nd inning. 6 k's, 0 walks, and 4 ER in 6 innings isn't anything to lose sleep over in the first start of the season. The 'pen managed the last 3 innings without giving up any runs.

And then it looked like it was going to end well. 2 on, 1 down for Ryan Howard in a 3 run game. This is the stuff dreams are made of. He looked bad going after those sliders, but he worked the count full. And then, there it was, a big, juicy fastball right down the pipe. And Howard froze. Called strike 3. Ok, still one out left. Ibanez is up with 2 on, 2 outs. Alright, Raul, show us why they brought you in. Knock in a run or two. Keep us alive. I just knew it was going to happen. The defending champs couldn't go down like this on national TV, at home, in the GOLD TRIMMED JERSEYS! But they did. And just like that, my phone lit up from all of the friends I have who are Braves fans.

But, no need to fret about this game. We have 161 more of them left, and they all count for the same in the win/loss columns, whether they're game #1 or #161. I just had my expectations set so high for this game that it was quite the let down.

So, time to gear up for tomorrows contest. Moyer against Vazquez. The ageless vet against another newly acquired Brave. And hopefully the offense will get in gear. Lowe is tough, and I think it's a pretty good step down from Lowe to the rest of the Braves rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment